Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Recovery

They say you have to hit rock bottom, before you can start the long road to recovery. I think last week was rock bottom. I had the stomach flu, Lucy had the butt flu. Ken was driving very slowly in a snow storm back from Iowa. In between throwing up in a bowl, I had the joy of changing diarrhea diapers. In between a few hours of sleep, I was up rocking Lucy back to sleep. And the after effects lasted for days and days. We both just didn't feel right most of last week.

And now we've moved to sweet, sweet, recovery. For the first time in 16 months, Lucy is going to bed at 7:30. 7:30. 7:30. And with nary a cry. That means I get almost 3 hours of pure freedom in the evening. I'm ashamed to say I spent most of tonight wastefully watching American Idol. And cleaning up toys and doing laundry and washing dishes and walking around not really sure what to do with my well earned freedom.

So now, three paragraphs into the post, I tell you the most exciting news of all. Lucy is finally walking! For about a week it was half crawling, half walking, but now it's almost 100% toddling around. I'm surprised to see her standing next to me with things in her hands and smiles on her face. She wanders around too, not sure what to do with her freedom, but very happy to have it.

It finally snowed here in Minnesota and that gave us the chance to put Lucy's new Christmas gift to good use. She loved being pulled around - fast.














Stay tuned for videos of the walking wonder.

No comments: